TMJ Specialist Los Angeles
Achieve Pain Relief for Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)
If you are experiencing frequent pain in the connection between your lower jawbone and your skull (known as the temporomandibular joints -TMJ), you may be among the millions suffering from Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD). Because these joints get a lot of use throughout the day chewing, swallowing, speaking, and yawning, pain and restricted movement can be more common than you think.
Dr. Piehl is a Los Angeles dentist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of TMJ/TMD in Los Angeles.
The exact causes of TMD are not clear-cut, but most doctors believe that the causes include:
- Weakness in the joint
- Injury to the muscles in the neck and head area from whiplash or a heavy knock
- Presence of rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis in the TMJ
- Clenching or Grinding the teeth, that places increased force on the temporomandibular joint
- Displacement of the disc or soft cushion between the ball and socket
- Stress, which causes a patient to tighten their jaw or facial muscles or increase the frequency of clenching their teeth
More females than males encounter TMD, and it is experienced most often in people between the age of 20 and the age of 40.
The more commonplace symptoms of TMD are:
- Pain or sensitivity in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you speak, chew or attempt to open your mouth as wide as you normally would
- A Limited capability to open your mouth especially wide
- Jaws that “lock” or “get stuck” in either the open or the closed position
- Popping, clicking or grating sounds in the TMJ when you open or close your mouth or when chewing which may be associated with pain
- A weary feeling in your face
- Difficulty chewing or a particularly uncomfortable bite – as though the lower and upper teeth are not meeting together the way they should
- Swelling may occur on one or even both sides of your face
- Headaches, toothaches, neck aches, upper shoulder pain, ear aches, hearing issues, dizziness, and ringing in the ears
Some basic, conservative treatments for TMD include:
- Apply cold packs or moist heat
- Eat softer foods
- Take prescribed medications
- Take prescribed low-level laser therapy
- Wear a night guard or a splint
- Undergo corrective dental treatment
- Avoid extreme jaw movements
- Don’t rest your chin on your hand
- Keep your teeth slightly apart
- Let Dr. Piehl teach you several relaxation techniques
- The TruDenta system with Dr. Piehl
Dr. Piehl will conduct a thorough review of your history and perform a complete physical examination to pinpoint what is causing your specific symptoms. He can also recommend some at-home exercises and preventative measures that will provide relief from pain, spasms and restricted movement that occur in early onset. If these go unchecked, you may also experience more severe headaches, neck pain and lock jaw.
The TruDenta system is a revolutionary non-invasive treatment system for TMJ, headaches and migraines that involves no needles, no narcotics and results in very successful outcomes.
Currently, Dr. Piehl is offering 50% off a comprehensive TMJ and headache exam in Los Angeles. Call (310) 507-9464 for more information and scheduling!